… I may as well update the wide vague population of the Internet as to my progress.
So, hm, what all have I done:
a.) added some various statistics to the collection mechanism; specifically, artist countries, genders, and types. I made them get displayed, too! See http://musicbrainz.org/statistics and http://musicbrainz.org/statistics/artist-countries for these. I’m currently working on/have in review a fix for the gender calculation, since despite adding calculation for type statistics at the same time, I totally neglected to think of the fact that groups can’t have genders!
b.) I added copyable URLs (mostly) for the timeline graph. For example, see http://musicbrainz.org/statistics/timeline#-recording+-medium+-label+-artist+-release+-releasegroup for a graph of just Works. I have in review a fix for this one, too, so that the region you’ve zoomed to also goes into and gets parsed from the URL. In the same change, I made it so the zoom level doesn’t reset when you add and remove lines from the graph.
c.) In review, I have something to merge the checkboxes for adding/removing lines and the legend. Yeah, that means the checkboxes won’t move when you click on them any more! Part of this change was also hardcoding the colors (rather than hardcoding integer indexes into an array… complicated, but anyway), so there’s a new colorscheme which you can see at http://codereview.musicbrainz.org/r/1343/s/83/. Thanks to Eliza, my coauthor on this blog and fellow MusicBrainz GSoC student, for helping me work around my stunted color sense.
d.) In the works:
i.) MusicBrainz Events, once I figure out how to display and interact with them in a nice way.
ii.) Statistics for release and label countries (in the same vein as artist countries), and potentially a whole bunch of other things like instruments, formats, scripts, languages… etc. This is a bit removed from my actual project, so the progress will be a bit slower!
So, cool. Now to see if that run of CollectStats.pl has finished up yet…